Friday, December 17, 2010

Marrakech (New Gueliz & Old Medina) (12.12-12.16)

Marrakech (12.12-12.16)



(Old Medina)
Overall Review: Marrakech was undoubtedly beautiful. However, having travelled with only my other girlfriend from Paris we were definitely not going to blend in well. It was very challenging to be in Marrakech without a male. So if I have any advice to give about Marrakech, if you're a women you MUST be with at least one male in your group for safety reasons. Otherwise, consider another country. Though it was a very challenging trip, having to be living next to intense poverty, especially in Casablanca (which will be my next post), and dealing with strong male presence and harassment, Hana and I were able to try and take everything at face value, be as understanding of the culture as possible, and appreciate the beauty of the city. The culture is very strong and different so if you decide to visit Marrakech you must be open-minded. Again, I would not advise visiting this country if you are travelling with only females. It's not safe.

Dar Habiba, Riad (hotel)




This Riad was beautiful. The staff were all very nice in the beginning of our stay. The rooms, roof, terrace, and center lounge area are all decorated and furnished beautifully. Hana and I felt at home as soon as we arrived. A complaint would be that the breakfast was very carb heavy. Otherwise, the manager, Nadjat, was great with giving directions and making us feel comfortable, in the beginning. However, our last evening was very uncomfortable and the following morning felt very cold from the staff, specifically Nadjat. Hana and I had 2 male, intimidating encounters in the evening of our last night when trying to get home. When returning home there was no one at all in the riad, no form of communication, nor any other safety outlet. Hana and I were very disappointed and upset. After emailing the owner, who was very sympathetic, apparently he had spoken to Nadjat, who should've reassured us and apologized for the enormous inconvenience we endured. Instead she chose to act cold and unthankful for us choosing to stay with them. There are many riads in Marrakech, our stay was okay before the last day. Hana and I were disappointed with the unprofessional attitude the riad manager had towards us, especially when we were the ones inconvenienced by the lack of security in the riad. I would not stay there again.

Koutoubia Mosque, Marrakech 
Address: Avenue Mohammed V
Marrakech, Maroc





This mosque was beautiful. I was in Morocco for about 4 days, Dar Habbiba was very close to the center of Marrakesh so we were able to hear the prayers coming from the mosque each day. It was a very cultural experience. The mosque itself is very beautiful, the detailing and architecture was magnificent to see.


Kosybar*****
Address: Place de Ferblantiers 47 Marrakech, Maroc






Hana and I loved loved loved Kosybar. This restaurant offers a variety of different foods forming a fusion between Asian and Moroccan cuisine. We love the Moroccan mixed salad, the scallops entree, the salmon and pesto entrees, and of course, the wine wasn't so bad either ;) I have no complaints, the atmosphere was very laid-back and cool, the music, the terrace view, everything was perfect. I wish they had more restaurants like these.
Must do of Marrakech****


Place Jemaa El Fna
(Center Square)



This center square is great if you're looking for cheapcheapcheap food :) You just have to be prepared for people to be haggling you, cornering you, and yelling at you to come and eat at their establishment. The food was very fresh and prepared in front of you. I could have gotten used to paying 8 dollars for 2 people. During the day you can also go shopping for touristy gifts, I bought a little drum for only 3 dollars. All the children play them in the streets, with a real leather covering. If you're looking for authentic/ homemade gifts I would suggest going to the square or the Souks. But be prepared to talk prices.

Les Bains de Marrakech *Spa****
Address: 2, derb Sedra, Bab Agnaou, Kabash
Marrakech, Maroc
Tel: 00 212 524 38 14 28/ 00 212 524 38 64 19



Hana and I spent an afternoon in this Spa for the reasonable price of 150 DH (less than 15 dollars) to receive the traditional Hammam massage. This was the most amazing Spa experiences I've ever had. If you're looking for a high class, luxurious experience without having to break the bank you must come to this Spa. All of the staff were amazing. I wish they had one of these in Hawaii! Loved it.


(New Gueliz)

(Gare de Marrakech)

This city was built in the 1920s. Therefore, much of the architecture is new along with more tourist friendly sit-down restaurants, calm stores and boutiques, and streets that are easier to navigate. Though the city is newer not everything is more expensive, there are still restaurants that offer great service for prices you can find in the crazy center square of old Medina. So depending on what you prefer, if you're looking for a calmer side of Marrakech you should definitely take your time in the New Gueliz city.


For more pictures and journals of my travels go to:


http://www.tripntale.com/me/alohafromparis


Coming up:
*Casablanca, Morroco
*Atlas Mountains, Ourika Valley, Marrakech, Morroco

No comments:

Post a Comment